A couple in the USA have been apprehended after their baby overdosed on cocaine pills which were placed on a table near where she was lying.
Diego Tzoy Pu, 33, and Santa Lux Pu De Tzoy, 30, from the city of Bonita Springs, Florida State, USA, were charged with child neglect and drug possession on Sunday, 29th October.
It followed after the pair called emergency services and reported that their 14-month-old child was unresponsive due to ingesting several pills described as oxycodone.
Lee County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement obtained by Newsflash: “Diego pulled a baggie from his pocket containing several pills.”
The pills had been in Santa Lux’s wallet, which was placed on a table that the baby could reach, police said.
They added: “Just prior to calling 911, the child was seen screaming and crying with a blue pill in her teeth.
“Diego’s open wallet was on the bed that contained the pills.”
Cops later confirmed that the pills found tested positive for cocaine. Meanwhile, the baby was taken to the hospital and is now in stable condition.
It was not disclosed whether the couple retained attorneys to speak on their behalf.
Sheriff Carmine Marceno said in a statement obtained by Newsflash: “We have to protect those that cannot protect themselves. Thank God the child is going to be okay.
“We will continue to work with DCF to ensure this child is in a safe environment, free of drugs and neglect.”
Diego Tzoy Pu was booked on a USD 50,000 [GBP 41,225] bond on Monday afternoon, 30th October.
The 30-year-old mother was booked on a USD 25,000 (GBP 20,610) the same day.